English Language Development Courses
Overcome the Roadblocks Impeding English Language Learner Progress
The key to unlocking English language proficiency lies in understanding how language works and lives. Our English language development programs are fully aligned with the latest state English language proficiency standards to keep the focus on language acquisition and development. They feature:
- Age-appropriate and leveled content specifically for middle and high school English language learners
- Sheltered instructional strategies, such as the use of video, visual, and audio support to make new concepts easier to grasp
- Culturally-relevant pedagogy and stories reflect meaningful aspects of English learners' identities and daily lives
Use our hybrid ELD/ESOL curriculum as a supplemental resource, the instructional foundation of your designated ELD time, or for extended learning opportunities. Language Tree Online can typically be purchased using Title III and Title I funding.
English Language Development (ELD) Level 1
ELD Level 1 is an English language development curriculum for beginner-level ELLs and newcomers in the secondary grades. The program includes standards-based online assessments, standards-based lessons with oral practice, built-in intervention resources, and an acculturation module to support social-emotional development.
- Gives teachers a clear understanding of the specific language skill gaps of each student
- Highly scaffolded content helps new learners access lessons and embedded exercises
- Accelerates language acquisition with lessons aligned with the latest ELD standards, including WIDA, CA 2012, TEKs/Texas ELP, New York, and Lousiana
- Equips newcomers with practical information on school-related norms and useful functional vocabulary
English Language Development (ELD) Level 2
After completing Level 1, or based on assessment results, students can move on to ELD Level 2. This rigorous program prepares intermediate and long-term English learners (LTELs) for re-designation. Cross-curricular instruction with additional emphasis on writing helps multilingual learners improve academic performance and meet CCSS for ELA.
- Standards-based assessments precisely identify the language skills and functions needed to reach proficiency (particularly relevant for LTELs)
- Subject matter content, ranging from social studies to math and sciences, is integrated into language lessons to help English learners unpack academic language and perform better in core subjects
- Built-in practice assignments can be used for intervention or to keep students productive
- Fun self-recording and writing exercises strengthen speaking and writing skills
HOW WE HELP ENGLISH LEARNERS SUCCEED
As the teacher, you are the pilot and our program is the co-pilot! Use our program as often as you like to support your instruction. Our program can be used for both in-class and remote learning. Students can learn and practice anywhere using any connected device.
Standards-based formative assessments identify specific language gaps, so you know where to focus instructional time. Summative assessments taken after program completion show learning growth and help indicate which skills still need to be developed.
Our standards-aligned program employs sheltered instructional strategies (SIOP & SDAIE) and integrates language instruction with subject matter content in math, science, and social studies. Multi-sensory support helps students better understand and retain lesson input.
We provide downloadable instructional routines to support small group instruction or for intervention. Also included are printable worksheets for students to practice, sample schedules, and language notebooks.
For newcomers, our American School Culture module helps build confidence, functional vocabulary, and awareness about their new school environment.
Reporting & Tracking
Teacher and admin-level reporting tools give real-time visibility to assessment scores, usage, lesson progress, and where students need intervention.