English Language Development Courses
Help English Learners and LTELs Overcome Language Roadblocks
The key to unlocking proficiency is through understanding how language works and lives. Our English language development (ELD) programs for middle and high school are fully aligned with the most recent English proficiency standards to keep the focus on language development. They feature:
- Age- and level-appropriate content designed specifically for secondary English learners
- Sheltered instructional strategies, with video, visual, and audio reinforcements to make new concepts easier to grasp
- Culturally-relevant pedagogy and academic language that reflects meaningful aspects of the learners' identities and daily life
Our solutions can serve as supplemental tools, form the instructional foundation for your designated ELD time, or be used for extended learning opportunities. They are typically supported by Title III and Title I funding.
English Language Development (ELD) Level 1
ELD Level 1 is an English language development program for beginner-level ELs and Newcomers in the secondary grades. It includes standards-based online assessments and lessons, built-in intervention resources, and a module on acculturation to support social-emotional development.
- Provides teachers with a better understanding of each student's language gaps — all the way down to the individual skill level
- Accelerates English language proficiency progress with lessons aligned with the latest ELD standards, including WIDA, CA 2012, TEKs, and NYS Next Gen ELA
- Informs Newcomer students about school-related cultural norms, available resources, and equips them with functional vocabulary
English Language Development (ELD) Level 2
After completing Level 1, or based on assessment results, students can move on to ELD Level 2. This rigorous program prepares intermediate and long-term English learners (LTELs) for re-designation. Cross-curricular instruction with additional emphasis on writing helps multilingual learners improve academic performance and meet CCSS for ELA.
- Standards-aligned online assessments precisely identify the language issues that impede progress (particularly relevant for LTELs)
- Integrated subject matter content, from social studies, math, sciences, and language arts, are embedded in lessons to help students with academic language
- Self-recording exercises and online writing practices help develop productive language skills
HOW WE HELP ENGLISH LEARNERS SUCCEED
>As the teacher, you are the pilot and our progam is the co-pilot! Use our program as often as you like to support your instruction. Our program can be used for both in-class and remote learning. Students can learn and practice anywhere using any connected device.
Standards-based online formative assessments identify specific language gaps, so you know where to focus instructional time. Summative assessments taken after program completion show learning growth and help indicate which skills still need to be developed.
Language & Content
Our program employs sheltered instructional strategies (SIOP & SDAIE) and integrates language instruction with subject matter content in math, science, and social studies. Multi-sensory support helps students better understand lesson input.
We provide downloadable instructional routines to support small group instruction or for intervention. Also included are printable worksheets for students to practice, sample schedules, and language notebooks.
Reporting & Tracking
Class and district-level reporting give teachers and administrators visibility to assessment scores, student progress, and where students may be falling out.